The Pick n Pay Taste of Jo’burg, in association with Orbit Sugarfree Chewing Gum, is celebrating its sixth year and will once again be showcasing 14 of Jo’burg’s top restaurants who will come together with their trend-setting signature dishes; and with a number of environmentally sustainable initiatives the festival is getting the ‘green light’.
‘We are proud to be going green and to be embarking on this endeavour with our environmentally aware sponsors, partners and exhibitors,’ comments festival director, Justine Drake. ‘Taking the environment into account and ensuring best practice in terms of sustainability can only add to the flavour experience that epitomises Taste.’
Pick ‘n Pay is considered South Africa’s ‘greenest’ retailer with multiple green awards to its name, including the winner in the Retail Sector of the Climate Change Leadership Awards (CCLA) 2012. The award recognises the retailer’s eco-friendly stores and ongoing commitment to climate change education programmes. Taste has also partnered with green companies such as Interwaste and Green Home in order to ensure a more sustainable event. Interwaste has been commissioned to provide recycling facilities on site and do a carbon footprint assessment.
The Pick ‘n Pay Taste of Jo’burg has also pronounced that the Chipembere Rhino Foundation has been nominated as the national charity for 2012. The Chipembere Rhino Foundation is a privately run, non-profit organisation committed to on-the-ground assistance in the protection and conservation of Africa’s rhino. Funds raised allow for the purchase of equipment for anti-poaching units, the supply of technology-based equipment to better monitor rhino populations and research in veterinary procedures that help protect and record individual rhino populations.
This year’s Taste of Jo’burg participating restaurants include:
- African Pride Melrose Arch Hotel (Executive Chef Hanroe Erasmus)
- Blue Feather Fine Dining and Bistro (Executive Chef Mitch Clark)
- dw eleven-13 (Chef Patron Marthinus Ferreira)
- La Cucina Di Ciro (Chef Patron Ciro Molinaro)
- Mastrantonio Group (Chef Pino Donzella)
- Padbok Thai and Sushi Restaurant (Chef Patron Bank – Supasin Kangasadal)
- Piccolo Mondo at The Michelangelo (Executive Chef Andrew Atkinson)
- Prosopa & Al Dente (Chef Patron Dino Fagas)
- roots@ Forum Homini (Executive Chef Adriaan Maree)
- Sel et Poivre and Le Petit Sel Bistro (Chef Patron Coco Reinarhz)
- Thava Indian Restaurant (Chef Patron Matthew Abraham and Consulting Executive Chef Philippe Frydman)
- Vivace Restaurant at the Radisson Blu, Sandton (Executive Chef Vonique van Zyl)
- Yamato Japanese Restaurant (Chef Patron Cristina Sato)
- Taste Pop-Up Restaurant
- Restaurant Mosaic at The Orient (Executive Chef Chantel Dartnall)
- Eat (Chef Patron Arnold Tanzer)
Cube Tasting Kitchen (Chef Patron Dario di Angeli)