Great news for South Africans who love healthy and wholesome food, Kauai has extended its brand into retail with the launch of an innovative frozen product range in partnership with Pick n Pay.
The partnership marries Kauai’s 23 years of experience as the leader in healthy food, with Pick n Pay’s heritage as a trusted retailer, to make healthy eating more accessible to a broader range of customers.
Very berry smoothie from Kauai and Pick n Pay
Healthy ready meals
The Pick n Pay powered by Kauai frozen product range was developed to meet the growing demand from customers seeking healthier ready-to-eat meals that they can conveniently enjoy at home.
The new range includes a variety of healthy frozen smoothies, already available in-store, with frozen meals and side dishes available from January 2020. The range will include some of Kauai’s top selling meals and smoothies, like the Strawberry Stinger smoothie and Butta Chicken Bowl.
Explains Dean Kowarski, CEO of Real Foods, the holding company of Kauai: ‘There is a major global shift as consumers seek out healthier, natural food options which are both affordable and convenient. We’re also seeing a shift towards more plant-based and vegan options. Our 23-year heritage positions us well to respond to this trend. We see our partnership with Pick n Pay as a natural extension of our commitment to making healthy eating accessible to more consumers.
‘This new partnership comes on the back of an exceptional year for our group. We have just opened our 160th store locally, launched new stores in the Netherlands and Thailand, and have plans for more stores in Asia-Pacific and Europe.’
Dean Kowarski, CEO of Real Foods, the holding company of Kauai
Eating healthy can be easy
Pick n Pay, which recently relaunched its Livewell range to include easy-to-read labels for smarter, healthier food choices, says that it wants to make healthier eating easier, more accessible, and more desirable. The Pick n Pay powered by Kauai range is the latest addition to the Livewell range consisting of over 600 products.
‘Healthier food shouldn’t be seen as boring or less tasty. The new range will offer our customers a delicious, yet quick and easy healthy meal option,’ says Nicki Russell, head of innovation and trends at Pick n Pay.
Kowarski says Kauai will bring its expertise in flavour-packed, healthy food to the growing frozen foods category, in line with frozen foods innovation in other markets. ‘This is a completely fresh take on frozen – it’s everything consumers love about Kauai’s delicious meals and smoothies, but with the convenience of being able to enjoy them at home whenever they want.’
The restaurant-quality meals and smoothies can simply be taken out of the freezer and cooked or prepared from frozen in the quantities they choose, so there is no wastage.
Like the menu in Kauai stores, the ready-to-eat frozen range avoids additives, preservatives, artificial colourants or and flavourants. ‘We only use free-range chicken and eggs, aligned with our commitment to responsible sourcing.
‘Globally, the frozen foods category is seeing renewed interest and innovation as freezing is a natural preservative, meaning it doesn’t require the addition of artificial preservatives. Newer, innovative frozen food products, such as the Pick n Pay powered by Kauai range – are taking advantage of this to develop healthier, natural meals and drinks that are free from additives, yet still deliver on taste and nutrition,’ concludes Kowarski.
The Pick n Pay powered by Kauai smoothie range is already available in selected Pick n Pay stores. The frozen meals and sides will be in stores in January 2020.
The Pick n Pay powered by Kauai range includes:
- Smoothies (currently available in selected Pick n Pay stores)
- Tropical Greens Smoothie – Tropical fruits with a punch of ginger and nutrient-dense greens
- Plant Power – Sunny pineapple paired with plant-based protein powder, packs a vegan nutrient punch
- See Monster – An orange fruit and veg smoothie great for supporting the immune system
- Very Berry – Bursting with flavour and antioxidants – rich berry fruit
- Strawberry Stinger- Kauai’s all-time fan fave – a healthier take on a strawberry shake, with strawberries and banana
- All the Greens- A health-seekers go-to green smoothie, packed with nutrient dense greens, hemp and chia seeds
Frozen meals (launching January 2020)
- Hearty Veggie Bowl – A warm and comforting veggie stew with quinoa, lentils and basil pesto.
- Mexi Veggie Bowl – Smoky spicy beans, flavoured rice and butternut side.
- Thai Veg Curry Bowl – Authentic Thai flavour with a rainbow of vegetables.
- Garden Cottage Pie – Lentil stew topped with orange root vegetable mash.
- Moroccan Chicken & Chickpea Bowl – Kauai’s Moroccan sauce with free range chicken, chickpeas and almonds.
- Butta Chicken Bowl – A veggie-packed take on a classic Indian dish with brown rice, millet, buckwheat and quinoa.
- Low Carb Butta Chicken Bowl – A lower-carb version of a classic Indian dish with turmeric, roasted cauliflower, ginger and garlic.
Frozen sides (launching January 2020)
- Spiced Butternut – A hint of cayenne pepper & coriander complement the sweetness of our slow roasted butternut.
- Root Vegetable Mash – Kauai’s trio of root vegetables are slow roasted for depth of flavour, then blended to a fluffy texture.
- Ancient Grain Mix- Kauai’s mix of whole grains is a blend of interesting textures, an alternative base for grain bowls and additions to curries.